West Metro Fire Rescue is the sponsoring agency for the Colorado-based Federal Emergency Management Agency Urban Search & Rescue Task Force. CO-TF1 responds with up to 80 members to natural and man-made disasters. Our mission is to search for and rescue the victims of earthquakes, hurricanes, and other large scale incidents.
Colorado Task Force One, CO-TF1, has approximately 200 highly trained members. Members include firefighters, paramedics, physicians, structural engineers, hazardous materials technicians, heavy rigging specialists, and canine handlers. The Task Force must be totally self-sufficient for the first 72 hours of deployment.
Task Force Capabilities
• Physical search and rescue operations in damaged/collapsed structures
• Emergency medical care for entrapped victims, task force personnel, and search dogs
• Conduct damage and needs assessments and provide information to local, state, and federal officials
• Assessment and control of gas and electric service to affected structures
• Hazardous materials evaluation
• Evaluation of the structural hazards in support of rescue operations
• Stabilization of damaged structures
Colorado Task Force One is made up of personnel representing 23 public and private organizations in Colorado.